I haven’t written in awhile not because I haven’t been cooking. Actually, I have been more cooking lately. We decided if we eat at home for all our meals during the week we would treat ourselves to eating out on the weekend. A full meal out where we don’t feel guilty for buying extra treats like a side of fries (my favorite) or an extra beer. The problem is that the things we have been making are all the things I have posted on here already. I have had chickpea burgers so many times, but I would still have them tomorrow they are so good.
Anyway, I finally got around to something new. (and on a funny note, we actually had this as a side to… chickpea burgers.) Did I mention that I love fries? Because I do actually love fries. A lot. Almost as much as I love pizza. So, I made a new version: fried sweet potatoes. So easy and so delicious! Also, this would be a great treat for a Halloween.
Fried Sweet Potatoes
1 large sweet potato, grated
1/3 cup flour
1 egg, whisked
salt and pepper
Oil, enough to fill a pot two inches high
1. Fill a pot two inches high with oil and begin to heat it on the oven.
2. In a bowl combine the flour, whisked egg, salt and pepper.
3. Wash, peel, and grate the sweet potato. Add it to the mixture above.
4. When the oil is hot add spoonfuls of the mixture to the oil. Make sure you don’t add too many, you don’t want to over crowd the pot.
5. Heat each batch for 3-5min. I cooked them until they were very brown.
6. Remove each batch and place on a napkin to absorb the extra oil. Sprinkle with salt.
Tips and Tricks:
If you are making a big batch, start the oven at 200d. When you take the fries out of the pot place them on a wire rack on a back sheet and put it in the oven to stay crispy and hot. The wire rack on the sheet will allow air to circulate around the fries to keep them crispy.
The original recipe called for 1/2 onion chopped and 1/3 cup of flour and cornmeal each. I didn’t have cornmeal which is why I didn’t use it, and I found just 1/3 cup flour worked great. I saved my onion for chili (look out for that post coming up soon!)