Sometimes you don’t want to make dinner, so you just turn to pasta, because its so easy. And then you get bored of pasta so you have to try something new. Here is your something new! Something easy and delicious.
Pasta with Broccoli and Garlic (original recipe is for sausage and broccoli which I would have loved to try, but didn’t have it)
1 lb Pasta
2 bunches of broccoli (cut into florets)
1 tablespoon garlic
salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese (or other, we used cheddar)
(Italian Sausage if you want)
1. Boil a pot of water with salt. When it begins to boil add the broccoli florets and bring back to a boil for 5-10 min. You want the broccoli cooked, but not mushy. (While this is happening, if you are using sausage, you should heat a pan with oil and then add garlic. When heated add the sausage and cook through.)
2. Take the broccoli out, leaving the water behind. Bring the water back to a boil and add the pasta for 8-10 min. You want the pasta to be cooked, but not all the way.
3. While that is cooking, heat a pan and add the garlic, heating for a few min. You don’t want the garlic to brown. (if you are using the sausage, you would add the broccoli to that, and skip the garlic since you already would have done it in step 1). Add the broccoli and use a masher to mash the broccoli (and sausage). If it is hard to mash add some of the pasta water (1 tablespoon) and continue mashing.
4. When the pasta is done take out a cup of the pasta water and drain the pasta. Add to the broccoli the pasta and about a tablespoon of the water and some 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Add some salt and pepper.
5. Mix for about five minutes. You want the pasta to be creamy, so add a little more oil or pasta water as necessary.
6. Plate the pasta and add the cheese.