I promised you mushrooms and I finally made them. This recipe is just in time for a great July 4th appetizer. And, if you are running around July 4th morning wondering what you are going to take to that bar-b-que, THIS is the recipe you should turn to. If you want to learn some more about about mushrooms you can check out this post. Mushrooms have a great texture and earthy flavor, and the filling in this is salty, crunchy and the parsley gives it a bright flavor.
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound button mushrooms
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 tablespoon minced garlic
salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees and coat the bottom of a sheet pan with some of the olive oil.
2. Wash the mushrooms under cold water. Remove the stems and put the bottoms aside for now. Be gentle while removing the stems as to not rip the mushroom.
3. Chop the mushrooms and add them to a bowl with the egg, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley and minced garlic. Stir to combine.
4. Add the salt and pepper and then add the rest of the oil and fluff it.
5. Stuff each of the mushroom bottoms with the mixture and place each one on the sheet pan. Place the sheet pan in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the stuffing is browned.
Tips and tricks:
1. I used less parsley and added some spinach. You can add different ingredients too. You can try bacon, kale, another type of cheese, onion, or anything else you want.
I hope you have a great 4th of July!