The sun was shining, the Red Sox game was about underway, and the smell of grilled brats was so tempting I had to make my own. Me and the boyfriend have been wanting to try our own brats and today was he perfect chance!
Brats, like everything else, are so easy to cook and so delicious!
Here we go:
Brats – we had sweet Italian Sausage
1 bell pepper- sliced
1 6-pack of beer – we used Killian
2 tablespoons butter
1. In a dutch oven put the half the onions, butter and the brats.
2. Cover the brats with the beer – we used 2 bottles (and drank the rest!)
3. Heat the brats over medium-high heat until the beer begins to boil. Then reduce to a simmer and continue heating for 8 minutes or until cooked through.
4. In a pan heat a little oil, the bell pepper, and both the left-over onions, and the ones from the beer broth. Heat these until soft and then add the brats to the pan.
5. Cook the brats until the skins are dark brown.
6. Once they are cooked, place them in a bun and top with the pepper and onion mixture. You could also use ketchup or mustard or both!
1. If you are waiting to serve, once the brats are brown place them back into the broth until you are ready to serve, although I suggest serving right after they are done.
2. Do NOT poke or cut the brats, you want the skin to be crispy and crack under your teeth! mmm…
3. If the pan is too hot and the peppers and onions begin to brown, you can take them out and continue cooking the brats without them.