There are numerous ways to use an egg in cooking. So many that it is almost unbelievable. From the basic breakfast uses: scrambled, sunnyside up, overhard, overmedium, omelet. To the general uses in baking, to bind meats, or to make something fluffy and light. Today the task was frittata. Essentially a frittata is egg baked with almost anything you can find in the fridge. Seriously, anything. I have seen recipes for spinach and feta, onions and potato, simple cheese, to the more extravagant one that I made this morning. The list on this recipe will be long, but don’t fret, this is so simple you will be surprised.
Before I put up the ingredient list let me just say that you can make this with whatever you have in the fridge. If you don’t have all of these ingredients, just use what you do have. You can also use sausage, corn, hash browns, ground beef. Really honestly as long as you have eggs you are good.
Chopped bell pepper
Now, you can do this all in a skillet which would make life so much easier as you can cook everything in the skillet toss in the eggs and throw it in the over, but if you’re like me and don’t have a skillet, you become resourceful.
1. Start the oven at 450, I put in the oven a dutch oven to begin to heat as I cooked the other ingredients.
2. Start two skillets on he stove. The first put a little oil and the potatoes (I used 2 red potatoes) to begin to brown and in the other start cooking the bacon. Keep your eye on both while you are cooking, the bacon should be quicker. As the bacon finishes (you do not want to over cook, because it will cook some in the oven), place it on a plate with a napkin.
3. Once the potatoes are browned throw into the pan the onions, bell pepper, tomatoes and let it simmer until cooked through. Add salt and pepper 🙂
4. Once the bacon is finished, turn off the pan for the potatoes and put the spinach on top to let it wilt. Meanwhile chop the bacon and cheese.
5. Pull out the dutch oven and coat with some butter on the bottom. Put all the ingredients into the pot along with the six eggs (these should be beaten first) mix all the ingredients together and add some salt and pepper and then place it back into the oven for 15 minutes.
6. After fifteen minutes the eggs should be set and the top slightly crispy and brown.
You can serve this with sour cream and some salsa, or you can eat it as it is!